Many communities struggle with maintaining housing that gives residents quality options at affordable prices. Neighborhoods in steep decline exist next to neighborhoods that are unaffordable, and dislocation is a constant source of social anxiety.
A Strong Towns approach is not a miracle cure, but it creates positive feedback loops so stress and opportunity can lead to productive local action. In this course, we will examine:
- Why local housing markets are so distorted, and the impact this has on our stability and prosperity.
- How to create the right market incentives to bring about productive development patterns.
- How to systematically address neighborhood decline on a limited budget.
- Specific changes to local regulatory systems to create affordable housing options.
- Steps to foster a bottom-up community of builders to respond to local needs.
- And more….
Participants in this course will develop a plan for local action that they can begin implementing immediately.